Tuesday 5 December 2017

Studio Brief 2 - Reflection



This brief has been the most appealing to me so far in the year because I enjoy printing (especially screen). I decided to produce five prints, although I did consider making a publication. This idea didn’t seem as strong as the multiple ideas that I had for the possible prints.

I am proud of the outcomes that I have created in throughout this brief as I believe I have a strong body of work involving different methods of print including mono, lino and screen printing to try and produce the most effective work.

To produce the final screen prints I used a digital approach to create the half tone effect which is something I have never done before. At first I wasn’t confident in using the digital approach which is clear in the first set of prints I created which seem slightly rushed and unprofessional. After making these prints I realised that they could be improved so I worked back into the designs on Photoshop. Working out how to use the cintiq improved my outcomes drastically as I could create smoother lines making the images clearer.

I also produced some lino stamps and a set of two colour lino prints to strengthen my body of work for new possible outcomes. However, I still prefer the screen prints. I had intentions of interpreting the lino stamps in screen prints by scanning them in and altering them using Photoshop. The two-colour lino prints could have been developed further by making each different part into a stamp and using a jigsaw method with two colours.

Mono-printing is not a strong point for me as I don’t find it interesting and the outcomes I seem to produce never appeal to me aesthetically. The mono prints I created were not the strongest designs which could have been down to the use of colour.

I am happy with my choice of colours throughout the prints as I believe they express the naivety of my work, as well as showing the political opinions of George Orwell’s ‘1984’.


If I did the brief again I would reproduce the two colour lino prints into larger stamps which could have been useful for the animation brief because of the separated elements that can be altered.

No comments:

Post a Comment