Monday 18 February 2019

Artist Research

Katie (tutor) recommended some artists and such for me to look at as an influence to my work. Especially, my character design such as the pumpkin guy.

I've recently been thinking about my characters possibly being put into a short sequence. However, the fact I've never really done anything like that before has held me back slightly. Thankfully, the tutorial gave me that push to just go ahead and do it. Katie has kindly suggested some artists etc to look at to influence these ideas.



Sofia Drescher

http://www.sofiadrescher.com/


  •  Agatha's Men is a fictional short story about sexual taboos and subjection of women. 

  • Although different in appearance to my own work the political/feminist message behind the humorous imagery relates to my own work. 
  • Especially, the current brief I am working on where I plan on responding to my favourite books and their views on society.


  •  For example American Psycho and how the book is about the treatment of women and how rich white men can easily get away with murder.

  • The painting by Sofia below is less related to my book brief. However, I enjoyed the naivety of the painting and it's made me consider trying it myself (I haven't painted in about 3 years).




Donya Todd

https://donyatodd.com/


  •  Feminist comic artist/illustrator. 
  • A lot of her work has a strong female character throughout each strip or just individual character design for more applied illustration. 
  • Each scene she creates seems to have a lot going on. Although, minimal use of colour is still used which could be useful to practice myself.
  • Again, like Sofia Drescher the characters are made up similar to my own pumpkin and devil guys. 
  • The format and layout of the comics she creates vary throughout each design. However, I am most interested in the small, one page strips that tell a quick story. This is something I am considering for my pumpkin guy as he cuts his own face out.




Chris Ware 

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/01/03/being-chris-ware/ (unable to find his own website)


  • Clearly experiments with layout and scale with his books/page spreads etc.
  • Some of his work seems quite existential/nihilistic.

Samuel Beckett 'Not I'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4LDwfKxr-M



  • More closely related to the New Statesman 'The year women said: Me Too' article that I recently responded to and the BICebe poster call brief where I plan on extending the idea into an animation/GIF. 
  • The connotations around a woman's mouth are often sexual and to use a zip to close the mouth may be seen as a representation of how society often see women as a sexual object rather than a person with a voice and opinion. 
  • 'Not I' when shown in the theatre had no lights at all (including lights on the fire exits where the bulbs were removed) except on the mouth of the woman speaking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment