Sunday 22 January 2017

End of Module Evaluation

End of Module Student Evaluation
BA(hons) Illustration
Module Code: Visual Skills OUIL405 Visual Narratives

Name:
Student ID:

Please identify where the evidence for each of the learning outcomes is within your submission and how well you feel you have met the learning outcomes. Please also grade yourself in relation to the learning outcomes using terms:
> poor, satisfactory, good, very good, excellent (Note- This is so that the team have an understanding of how well you feel you have done. It is not an indication of the actual grade you may receive)

Learning Outcome
Evidenced where?
Blog, Sketchbook, Roughs Final Illustrations, development sheets etc.  (No more than 75 words)
Your grade
Using words:
> poor, satisfactory, good, very good, excellent
4A6 
Demonstrate a range of approaches to research in the collection, development and communication of source material.

This can be seen through my sketchbooks for both One Week Map and Visual journalist where I used my sketchbook to create visual research as well as collecting information from people as well as secondary research which can be seen on my blog.
satisfactory
4B5
Explore individual responses to creative opportunities, source material and visual research appropriate to set briefs and identified problems.

This can be seen in my sketchbook where I have responded with different rough designs and experimenting with different mediums.
good
4C6
Select and investigate appropriate practical approaches to the investigation of visual development and communication of source material in response to a brief.

I have experimented with different mediums throughout my roughs on A3 pieces of paper and in my sketchbook work throughout research.

good
4C7
Explore appropriate processes and techniques in the visual development of ideas relating to narrative, sequence and content.

I have developed my processes by doing exhaustive drawings on A3 sheets as well as in my sketchbooks for initial research for both One Week Map and Visual Journalist.
Satisfactory
4D5
Demonstrate an effective use of appropriate methods of recording, documenting and evaluating individual progress.
I have used my blog and my sketchbook to create recordings using both visual and formal documentation. I have been critical of my work on my blog.
Satisfactory

Evaluation (See guidance below for more information)
You are required to write a 500 word evaluation of this module.

Overall I feel like I could have engaged further with the module as a whole as I found it difficult working in a group for the first brief especially when we had to navigate ourselves around Leeds. It seemed to take a while to work out what we would focus on to create the final screen print. I found it useful having a mixture of ideas that we could all settle on although I seem to be full of ideas and I understand screen printing well making it difficult for me to listen to other people’s ideas knowing that it would make the printing process more difficult. However, once we decided on what we were going to do the final result looked amazing with the use of minimalistic colours and overlapping text to create the theme of the bustling market.

The most useful part of the module for me was learning new techniques when screen printing. Also the InDesign sessions have helped me learn more about using the software which I was unable to use properly before. The Visual Journalist brief helped me develop my time management skills although I believe I could have used my time more effectively than what I did by starting my own field trip earlier and asking people who know the place more questions although it was quiet both the days I went because of the weather.

I began to spend more time in the studios to create my work such as the day of the assessment briefing which made me realise I need to create more roughs before I create the final book. I should have used the available time I had in the studio more to create work as I get more distracted at home. I didn’t have any momentum to create work at the start of the brief which I think is because of working in a group of people I didn’t know particularly well although I got over this and began to create more work at a faster pace. However, I have found myself caught up with blogging once again which wouldn’t have happened if I blogged a small amount each night rather than let it build up on me.

I have looked slightly into other artists work such as Stephanie Unger who inspired me to further develop my work without outlines and be more ambitious and unafraid of going straight into drawings with pen. Also codex seraphinianus helped me narrow my ideas down for my final picture book that was recommended to look into by a tutor.

I will use what I have learnt here in future modules by being more ambitious in my drawings using more experimental approaches and hopefully manage my time better by blogging a small amount more often so I don’t feel so worried about not finishing on time. I hope to spend more time in the studio at the end of the day so I can create work to my full potential.
















Evaluation Guidance
This should be a reflective summary of your experience across the module, with a focus on SB2 & SB3

-       Overall, how well do you feel you have engaged with this module.

-       What learning took place? What was useful to you?
Be specific. New skills? New methods? New processes or approaches? Did you use the blog to reflect on your project development? Tell us about your research- how did you use it to inform the intent of your project?

-       What went well and why? What did you enjoy? What were you happy with as an outcome?
Be critical and analytical. Why did you enjoy it? Perhaps identify particular sessions?
This could be ideas, solutions to problems, studentship or research. How well did you use the studio? Did you invest enough time in the development and testing of your outcomes? Where did you invest the most energy? When did you feel positive and motivated?

-       What could you have done better?
What were the problems you faced? Did you get stuck or lose momentum? What did you do to overcome this? This could be in reference to studentship, organization, blogging or studio practice.

-       Contextual research.
How have you used the analysis of other artists, peers or other creative practitioners to inform your own approach? What are the principles, ideas and approaches you have identified as relevant to you?

-       How can you apply what you have learnt here for future modules and projects?
Application and future thinking. Things you would do differently next time? What useful methods, processes and ideas will you take forward into the next module?

You may also want to consider:

Self-questioning: How did your thoughts and opinions change as you progressed through the module?

Feedback: What other people (tutors and peers) thought of work and how you responded to that feedback?


Research: Did you use contextual research to inform your ideas, ways of thinking or understanding of the challenges set. This may include further research of your subject matter, slides from the presentations or use of the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment