Sunday 22 January 2017

Tell an Untold Story Part 1: The Visual Journalist

Trees

Being unexpectedly given 2 days to plan our own field trip meaning I had a short amount of time to think of the perfect place for my chosen theme. I went home to Sowerby Bridge where I know a lot of local woodland areas. 
I chose my favourite place to walk which is North Dean Woods which has several paths running through it.
Throughout the journey I took photographs and made quick sketches of different points of interest in the woods.


                                     


I also looked at secondary research online to look more into the factual information of the woodland such as the wildlife and plants that make it their habitat. 
After the 2 days of looking through my current research I have way too many possible ideas for my book design. 

I found it difficult to draw whist I were there because of the ground being wet I had to stand up making my drawings more wonky than what they usually are. At first I hated drawing trees but I made myself repeatedly draw the same trees over and over until I got the grasp of it. 








I began to enjoy drawing trees although it was still proving difficult whilst I were stood up in the pouring rain. I tried to do mark making of the textures on the different kinds of trees in the woods although they didn't turn out as well as I had hoped.



It could be because of the pencil I used to create the marks whereas it would have been better to use a softer tool such as crayon. However, I am thankful for the rain because it made the first mark making piece slightly clearer as it smudged the pencil. 


Peer Crit 

Taking part in a group crit with other people has helped me narrow down my possible ideas that I can focus on when I go back to North Dean Woods. Looking through my current research and sketches with fellow peers helped me to narrow down all my possibilities to one strong idea. I have decided to focus on the dead trees in the woods as there are a lot.

My secondary research has allowed me to get a closer insight on what animals and plants live there.


Further developing my research by looking into the wildlife that lives in the woodlands has allowed me to go back to the woods and look closer at the dead trees. After looking at them I have decided to look into the life that still lives from dead trees such as certain fungi and critters.
















No comments:

Post a Comment