Tuesday 31 January 2017

Depth and Line of Sight

How to Make Pictures - Depth 

What do we mean by depth in an image? - The illusion of distance or a third dimension. Depth can be created by scale, overlapping, line of sight, foreground, mid-ground and background.
Is depth only relevant to image makers who want to make realistic artwork? - Any artist should always consider depth as a tool of composition even when creating abstract images because not using depth when creating an image can make uninteresting to the viewer.
What is line of sight? - The direction in which the viewer's eye moves across the image. The artist should make sure one line leads to another and eventually to the key information. Line of sight is controlling how the viewer sees the image.
What does line of sight do for your composition? - It leads the unconsciously to a centre of interest. The artist my purposefully clash the line of sight to create a scene of conflict or violence.
How does the movement of relate to the line of sight? - It moves the eye more smoothly from one piece of information to another. 


Brief - Over There

  • Create an illustrated landscape from looking out of one of the windows in college.
  • Make a diorama from one of the rough observational drawings.
























I chose a place that seemed of most interest when thinking about different compositional elements that can be included in an image. 
Usually, I dislike observational drawing but I feel like it was more to my interest when concentrating on composition rather than just looking at what is in front of you.
Some of the drawings are a lot stronger in terms of depth and line of sight than others. This could be because I have never considered these elements consciously before but now I am focusing on making the composition as strong as possible.
I personally like the drawing that is at the bottom of the first page as the foreground, mid-ground and background are clear. This would be strong when creating a diorama which could easily be made three dimensional.
Although, I think it may be quite dull to create a diorama with just buildings so I am going to use another one of my observational drawings for the final piece.

I am particularly proud of this piece because of the use of layers to create the diorama which at first I weren't sure which design to do. Although, I am glad I chose this design as I find creating the textures of the ground interesting.
The us of the window frame and the rain running down it seems to complete the piece as a whole as it completely alters the perspective of the piece.
When I thought I had finished the piece I felt unsure about the background/floor of the image as it seems to blend well with the orange tone of the edge of the window.


I managed to overcome this problem by adding separate layers of mud piles to the piece to create
further overlapping in the image which breaks up the background from the foreground.
If I were to complete this brief again I would most likely create more observational drawings from a different area of the college and possibly make the diorama three dimensional to add further depth and shadow to the image.

No comments:

Post a Comment