Wednesday 26 October 2016

Mythical Creatures

Brief Summary 

Fill a minimum of 6 sketchbook pages with chosen subject theme in which I chose mythical creatures.
I have used the library to collect imagery to look further into the idea of mythical creatures. I have chosen to look at some small goblin creature in the book Wizards and Witches.



Sketchbook Pages

The first initial drawings of the goblin seemed a little too detailed for my liking as I look at the image in the book to create the drawings. 



I think after the first sketchbook page I will close the original book and continue drawing just using the reference of my own drawings with a more simplistic approach. 


Closing the book appeared to be a brilliant idea as my character kept further developing into my own creation which I gradually improved with repetitive drawing. 

He somehow developed a bald head which I prefer to the initial drawings that I created. 

Working on his different features such as the nose and the body of the goblin has helped me to be able to perfectly draw the character in pencil.

Next I intend on trying a more wet medium such as ink with fast paced brush strokes to make the character look wonky and possibly add some shading.



I loved using ink because it emphasises the messy approach which suits the character a lot more than the use of a think pencil. 
The shading didn't go so well with the look of the goblin because it makes him look a lot less ragged.
Maybe I could improve this by creating a bumpy texture to his skin with small circular shading on his skin??


My final sketchbook page resulted in the goblin man having a little dance. 

I like seeing the progress of the sketchbook pages and the development of the character.

Should he have a name to make it more personal?

I think I'll name him Greg 

I intend on continuing to develop Greg and possibly create other goblin characters using different mediums to expand my skills on using different mediums. Including Photoshop which I am the least confident with.

No comments:

Post a Comment