Thursday 16 March 2017

Collage and Ephemera

Brief

  • Create a book with two A2 sheets folded in half.
  • Make a minimum of 8 collages.
  • Use one recurring motif from your visual subject (mythical creatures) by using the photocopier to create multiples.

What makes a good collage?

  • Ingredients
  • Process
  • Your hands 
  • Collections 
  • Synthesis

Collages




What I wanted to achieve in my collages was to make humour through using found materials and ideas that would make Donald Trump relate to my visual subject of mythical creatures.
 Things I like about the work I created is the use of mixed media and different textures that can simply be created through using found materials as well as different mediums.

For example this piece is mostly made out of ink and pen which I have created with found material stuck on the top.

This piece could have been improved by using a textured material to create the tentacles.


 At first I found it challenging to make a strong piece.

I have learnt that less is more though means of collage (unless you're a pro). Also drawing out the design beforehand doesn't make the design look any better. Just go ahead and place things on the page.

This piece is the weakest of all the piece because of the use of mediums which I then tried to resolve using found material.

But I learnt that this won't work because there's too much going on in the image meaning the focal point is lost.


 I'd like to further explore collaging with found materials so that I can begin to add more elements into my designs without making it too crowded.

Although, most of the designs I have currently created using more elements seem to be the weaker pieces.


Found text tends to look great with collaging. Especially when using font styles/colours that suit the piece.

Simplicity is key.

Although, this can be quite challenging at first as you want the design to cover a lot of the page with lots of different elements. But just adding small parts to an image can complete a piece.



I should have taken more risks with some of the designs such as completely altering the original image by chopping it up and misplacing it.

Possibly making up my own mythical creatures could have been an option.





I'd like to further explore with using different mediums such as digital collage where there's more choice of alterations to be made.







I've learnt that you don't have to fill the whole page to make a strong collage design.

Just a few basic elements can make the original image into something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment