Thursday 9 March 2017

Synecdoche

Synecdoche: A figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa e.g. all hands on deck.

Brief

  • Produce a list of 10 synecdoches.
  • Either people you know or something you own.
  • Produce an A2 poster of best idea.
  • Include a title.
  • Either cut paper or ink with a brush.
  • Create roughs before making the final poster.

Initial Thoughts

  • What the hell is a synecdoche?
  • Thank god that Sowerby Bridge is full of weirdos.

List 

  1. Sweetie Leon (some guy that goes and buys loads of food at supermarkets and sells stuff to kids).
  2. The twins that look like they were in The Shining but they've aged a bit.
  3. My mum calling me Muzzle or Moo.
  4. Sox (cat).
  5. Weird couple that live down the bungalows.
  6. Skinhead (me).
  7. Wressell the wrestler.
  8. Sowerby Bridge Mafia (geese)
  9. Put wood int toil (shut the door)
  10. Fat ass woofers (fat dogs)

Roughs


To begin with I couldn't decide on which idea I should create so I made different roughs for each one.

This design in particular is one of the most simple pieces but the idea of the synecdoche is clear even without the use of the title.

This could be made at A2 scale using paper cut.
I'm not a huge fan of this design. There's too much going on but I wanted to make it clear that they live in the cul-de-sac of bungalows.

Could I possibly change the composition of the piece to make the characters more in focus?

Or will this ruin the fact that they live in the bungalows?



Here's Sweetie Leon with his little trolley.

I tried to create piles of sweets behind him as that what I imagine his house looks like although it makes the image too crowded.

Is the composition strong enough to make this into an A2 poster for my final design?


The Shining Twins.
My personal fave.

I have created multiple roughs to try and find the best composition for this piece which I plan on making into my final A2 poster.

This composition cuts out too much of each character because you can't see their matching cardigans and identical faces.

I tried to make this look like the scene of the twins in the movie but it didn't seem to work because the characters are way too distant. The text also doesn't fit into the space very well making it look cramped on the page.

Plus the twins in Sowerby Bridge weren't actually in the film I'm just trying to make things funny as usual.




This is my favourite composition because of the distance that the characters are from the front of the page (compositionally speaking) but they are still stood stupidly close together.

The pencil emphasise the sinister looking characters because of the thin, wobbly lines.

How can I make a similar mark using ink and a brush?

I need to consider the pressure I use when painting the final design so that the design doesn't lose its darkness.

 



Finals



 I made a quick painting of the cat to practice with the pressure of my hand using the ink.

This design could have been improved by filling in the whole body and using colour for the socks rather than black.



I am happy with the outcome of the piece. I am particularly happy with the hair which looks a lot better with ink instead of pencil making it look thin and greasy.

However, I hate using ink. Especially when making a more complex piece compared to making simple shapes.

If I were to make this piece again I would focus more on the line quality to outline and add details to the characters. I would also make the eyes a lot smaller to give them more of a beady appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment