Thursday 16 March 2017

York

Observational Drawings

The aims of this trip was to produce observational drawings focusing on the what we have learnt so far on visual language as a whole such as line quality, depth, value etc.

The drawings I created are clearly an improvement on the first observational drawings at the beginning of the course.

I have learnt how to give a drawing more depth by changing the pressure on the medium I am using which changes the value.




I find it most challenging when focusing on composition and the distance of different objects. I have developed on this by using different line qualities and value.

In this drawing I wanted to focus on the items in the distance on the roof but I found it challenging to make them look distant.

I need to take more risks when drawing by making objects in the distance a lot smaller with less detail.



 I need to focus more on the value and depth of a drawing to make it more compositional.

I have learnt that line quality can make the drawing have more composition but value is still needed to create real depth.

Things I like about this work are the use of lines becoming thicker and to emphasise the depth. Line of sight is also strong in this as it all focuses towards the left side of the page.

I have learnt that using up the full amount of space in my sketchbook is more useful than creating smaller drawings because a lot more elements can be added to make a strong composition.

Using the whole page of a sketchbook also allows me to use create quick, thicker lines where the details can be added with smaller thinner lines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment