Thursday 9 March 2017

Shape Task

Brief

  • Given a word (action).
  • Start with a more representational piece and make it more simplistic.
  • Final pieces using cut paper.

Timeline (Representational to Simple Shape)

ripping up a beer mat




I started by drawing a representational without even considering making it more simplistic.

This is not my way of working at all I hate the appearance of the drawing.

I found it difficult to make the piece completely representational as I tend to simplify my drawings.





\

 I prefer this piece a lot more but when I consider the task set it is still too complex.

Are the thumbnails necessary?

What makes a beer mat a beer mat?



 Still too complex but a lot more simplified than the last piece.

Is the apple needed?

At the minute it seems to look like the thumbs are stuck onto the mat and it's begun to rip.

More hand is needed behind the mat.





The piece makes a lot more sense even when just adding two lines to make it appear that the hands are holding the mat.

Now I've removed the apple what makes it a beer mat?

I need to come up with a solution to make the beer mat look like a beer mat but still keeping it as simple as possible.




I've finally removed the nails. 

Using pencil doesn't make it clear that these are hands but when I move onto coloured paper this should hopefully make it a lot clearer.

But the beer mat still doesn't look like a beer mat.

I need to look at designs to see how they most commonly look.

A symbol or a piece of text is needed to make it clear.




Cut Paper



I began with the most basic of designs which is way too simple making it unclear of the action.

The fingers don't look like fingers.

And making a beer mat look like what it's supposed to look like is the bane of my life.

Would adding the finger nails back in make it slightly more understandable?
 Cutting out fingernails meant that there can't be any colour behind them for the beer mat.

The use of negative space in this piece makes the design a lot stronger.

As well as the font that I have created using minimal cutting but it is still readable.

The problem with this design is the hand situation as again it looks like the thumbs are stuck on and ripping the beer matt.

I need to work out how to make the hands appear behind the mat.
Smashed it. 

I used negative space to make the hands appear that they are behind the mat using the purple paper to create the rip and the bottom area.

The text is much more improved and spaced in this piece as well making it easier to read.

Who knew a beer mat would stress me out so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment